Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Spicy Orange Chicken with Rice


I love Asian food and so does Bill (and Hannah).   This is a repeat for sure and hopefully you can add it to your list. I first saw this recipe on Pinterest last week and I have made this recipe twice.  Modified from Sweet Pea's Kitchen Blog  I added green beans the first time and red bell pepper the second.  

Recipe and Tutorial 

Cook time: 30 mins   Prep Time:20 mins  Marinate time:40-60 mins

Ingredients:
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
6 tablespoons white vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup  brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts ( I used 3 breasts)
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoon cold water
8 small whole dried red chiles (optional)
8 thin strips orange peel
1 tablespoon any kind of oil
Optional : 1 thinly sliced red bell pepper or 2 cup fresh green beans 

Directions:
1.                   Place the chicken in a 1-gallon zipper-lock bag; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, orange juice, grated zest, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and cayenne until the sugar is fully dissolved. Measure out 3/4 cup of the mixture and pour into the bag with the chicken. Refrigerate 60 minutes. 
I doubled the recipe and froze one but made
two bags like above




2.                  While the chicken is marinading, in a large saucepan, bring the remaining orange juice mixture to a boil over high heat. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water until combined and add to the sauce. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and translucent, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the orange peel and chiles; set aside.  This takes about 20 mins on high to reduce. I started in my dutch oven but it my fry pan got hotter so I would suggest using a fry pa
Reduction (not effective)
Reduction Effective - 20-25 mins on high heat should be thick 
I added in the vegetable here to the sauce after i turned the heat off. 


3.                 








3. Heat  oil in a wok or large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Saute chicken until browned and cooked through; remove from heat and set aside. Reheat the sauce over medium heat until simmer, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken and gently toss until evenly coated and heated through. Serve over rice.

Prior to cooking 

Dinner last night with red bell peppers
Dinner last week with green beans

Enjoy!



Modified from: I have been in love with http://sweetpeaskitchen.com  blog and that is where I found this recipe. I found her on Pinterest and have been obsessed with the fun recipe she cooks and finds.  This recipe I modified for 

No comments:

Post a Comment