Saturday, January 21, 2012

Red Asian Chicken with Broccoli

Today I need to admit I spent 5 hrs watching The Food Network.   I will usually go to the website and find the recipe and print or add it to my online recipe box to try for later.  While watching Diners Drive-Ins and Dives , Guy went to this restaurant in Indiana with the largest menu in the state.  The owner was making a "Red Asian Chicken" and the recipe was not online.  Thank goodness for DVR and  2 hrs of rewind to re-watch her make the dish and scribble down what she was doing.......Here is what Bill and I had for dinner tonight.  I need to say pretty amazing and gluten free too ( My mother would approve)

Asian Chicken Tutorial and Recipe

3 chicken breasts ( aprox 1 lb  or 1 lb boneless thighs)
2 egg whites
1 cup pure corn starch
1/2 cup oil
1 can tomato sauce
1 small yellow onion chopped
5 cloves chopped garlic
1 bunch chopped green onions
1/2 cup powered sugar
4 tbls sesame oil
1 tbls chili oil ( more if you like it spicy)
1 1/2 cups broccoli

Directions:
2 pie pans one with egg whites the other with corn starch.  Take pounded thin chicken pieces and dip in egg whites then corn starch and let sit on plate until ready to cook.

Close up of raw chicken.  I added some salt and pepper here to increase depth of flavor.

 Non-stick fry pan heat 1/2 cup oil at a med-high heat.  Cook chicken in batch and brown on all sides ( about 4 mins a batch)  Remove and have chicken rest on paper towels to drain off excess oil.


Heat sesame oil and chili oil in pan add in chopped onion simmer for 3-4 mins on med-high heat in your wok. Add in whole can of tomatoes sauce- heat until bubbles.  Add in 1/2 powder sugar and stir - allow to reduce and thicken.  Taste and add salt to taste or more chili oil if wanted more heat.

Add in raw broccoli - It was getting late and I wanted to get the dinner on the table so I didn't pre-cook broccoli. I am sure frozen would work too but I allowed it to cook for about 5 mins to slightly soften. If you cooked ahead of time you could add just in and then add in chicken.

Add chicken and toss in red sauce with broccoli.

Add green onions and and garlic - toss and turn off heat.

Final product -  Served with a bed of jasmine rice and  garnished with toasted sesame seeds!

Enjoy -Love Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment